Google

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

OK! I saw Step Up 2 The Streets

Yes, I know...why would I go and see Step Up 2 The Streets?

Well, fine, I have always liked breakdancing from the first time it got started. I was in 10th grade in 1984 the first time I learned to do the wave. I learned how to do it by copying one of the kids in the Lionel Richie "All Night Long" music video. I lived in Caracas Venezuela at the time- attending an international highschool. And I tell you....just being able to do "the wave" I managed to entertain quite a few awestruck audiences... It was fun!

Fast forward 22 years and here I am going to check out the latest and greatest in inter-racial break/street/hood/battle dancing all packaged into one movie...Step Up 2 The Streets.

OK in order to enjoy the movie you do have to be able to push certain things out of your mind. For example, the fact that the star, Briana Evigan is a gorgeous, cute, clean-cut white girl and is trying to play the part of a "bad girl from the hood". just ain't gonna work. She was is just too sweet and cute to be anything but a rich suburban white girl...But she looks good when she dances, so she is officially forgiven.

Cassie also got to strut her stuff, and I think they could have afforded to give her a little more participation....but I guess they feared that she would steal too much from the lead.

What else...

Also, my one of my co-workers pointed out that the story is repeated over and over...it is the same movie as a million others that came before it.

And that is basically a true statement. But what my co-worker does not realize is that when there is a successful formula then you can keep expanding upon it.

If Flashdance Managed to make millions back in the 80s, and Dirty Dancing made millions in the 90s, then why can't you make another dance movie that will be creative and fun to watch, and have it be a success?

That is what I think happened, because I must admit, it was enjoyable for the most part, the dance routines were fun and creative.

There was one point, most such movies have them, where it all looked grim, it seemed like our starlet was not going to be able to achieve her hip hop dream...and sad music played on and on and on, and it went on too long....I almost started crying not because the content was sad....rather just because the "sad" part was dragging on too long...and that error saddened me.

But overall you should have a couple of laughs...

No comments: